Sunday, June 8, 2008

Bewick's Wren



A small nest appeared above my only doorway. It took me a while to work out what bird it was. Finally I was able to see the white stripe above the eye. Also, so many sites now have bird noise recordings that are really helpful. It was a Bewick's Wren.

Apparently it also had a girlfriend and on the day that Rescue kitten escaped the little eggs also unfortunately hatched. This is my only door and I was obviously in and out of it frequently that night. All I could hear was frantic peeping every time I went out and the adult birds would be in the nearby trees very upset.

They seem to have survived. Last night I was finally able to count 4. They are more active at night and the nest is tiny; making them difficult to see and photograph. Their little tufts of feathers on the top of their heads are pretty funny though. Hopefully that comes through.

It makes leaving the house a little more challenging. They have pooed all over the door mat and I am terrified of stepping on one of them but apparently their diet includes spiders so they could nest inside the house for all I care.

No comments:

Post a Comment