Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas Eve

This morning I woke up to rain, darkness, and Rusty peeing the kennel. It took quite a bit to get my thinking brain on and build some patience. I decided to bake and cook and give Rusty some time out of the kennel.

First he got his peanut butter Kong and I got ready to cook. My plan was two recipes, one a vegan modification of a Turkey Pot Pie with Pumpkin Crust and the other recipe was Vegan Scones which were written as Ginger Currant but I switched to berry.

For the pot pie I substituted tempeh for turkey and my veggie mix was a little different. I used almond milk instead of dairy milk. I really liked the end result, I think it is probably too bland for most people but perfect for me. It will be a good dinner to eat over the next several days.

I almost didn't want to put a photo of my scones because when you look at the Daily Garnish photos hers are beautiful and mine are messy. :) Her blog is probably one of my favorites right now.

Obviously my modifications included removing all the spices, currants and ginger (nothing I had on hand). I added a heaping cup of frozen mixed berries and chopped them up a bit at the suggestion of my sister. I also use Ener-G egg Replacer (again, what I have on hand, although I am hearing a lot of good things about using Chia seeds), and I was in the mood for full whole wheat this time around.

I really enjoyed the recipe and will definitely do it again. I even froze the Earth Balance before hand.

You can see the bowing in Rusty's front legs are pretty bad right now. I have to keep reminding myself that this dog's body is pretty broken. He pushes my patience so much sometimes and it is just terrible in the cold and wet of winter.

Hopefully he will rest well and no accidents while I enjoy a Christmas Eve meal at the Mexican restaurant.


No comments:

Post a Comment