Monday, April 30, 2012

Coconut, Cleaning, and Quilting

Today it just sheeted rain. I would be trapped in my office for long stretches because there was just no way I was going to walk in it.

With my midterm behind me, my big priorities were cleaning (especially the office area) and working more on my quilt.

For supposedly being such neat-freaks as a breed it never amazes me how put out my dobermans can get when I disrupt their lives (for example moving their dog bed) with one of my cleaning rampages.

I got much done today and now I can function better in my office.

The recipe today on Chocolate-Covered Katie was Cosmic Chocolate-Peppermint Patties. Peppermint patties/Junior Mints are not necessarily chocolates I crave much. But that didn't stop me from playing with this one.

I didn't have peppermint extract and going to the store would have been too much effort so I decided I would modify more Mounds style. In the end I added about 3 tablespoons of shredded coconut.

The downside to this experiment is that it took the more liquid center and turned it into a paste and then I had a problem. This would have done better more like the Reese's peanut butter eggs.

But I did the best I could and put some chocolate on the top. I have learned that it often takes me a couple of tries to make things more pretty because I don't think ahead when I change the recipe.

My other current favorite recipe that I can't get enough of is surprisingly Blueberry Pie Pancakes. I say surprisingly because I have literally gone years without eating pancakes and never miss them.
They come out extremely fat and as it turns out, it is kind of like eating an orange in that the occasional berry when broken into can be unpredictable. This is probably because they are fresh not frozen berries as well.

If only I would make Emile fish pancakes.
Meanwhile I FINALLY have progress on this quilt. I love how it is coming together. The squares above are what I have left. It takes 16 of those to make one block and I use 4 blocks per row. I figured out I had enough to make 3.5 blocks which is close enough that I will start digging through my stash tomorrow to come up with 8 more half triangle squares.

In the end this quilt will be 6 blocks long by 4 blocks wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment