Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Another Stew

The latest recipe I tried from "Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons" book by Nava Atlas has turned out really nice. It is the Kale, Yellow Squash, and Sweet Potato Stew.

I made some modifications:

This week I decided would be white bean week so I had my soak going from the night before. I used the bean water for the broth of this soup rather than bouillon or vegetable broth.

I also substituted about 2 cups white beans for the rice for more of a nutritional bump. It never actually says when to add the rice so I just added the beans near the end.

I used powdered ginger rather than fresh (laziness).

This soup has a REALLY nice flavor. Obviously I have made it bean-y with my modifications. The spices are mustard, ginger, and balsamic vinegar and I liked the flavor quite a bit.

Tonight's cooking was supervised by Nim and the cats. All of which were obnoxious. I got a much later start on cooking making it at a time in which I would normally be in bed so I messed up more than just my routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment