Friday, February 15, 2013

Snoqualmie Valley Winter Shelter

I hope everyone is enjoying the start to their Lent season.I have a few things I am working on personally.

One item is that I am going to "fast" from obsessive job searching. This may sound irresponsible for someone who is unemployed, but I think a session in the AM and one in the PM is enough. I am almost in the bargaining stage of unemployment grief...I obsessively read articles, listings, often for hours as if more studious time will somehow yield a different result! My goal from this fast is to see if I can master more healthy and productive job searching and if I can feel a bit more balanced.


Snoqualmie Valley Winter Shelter

I was personally really happy when this opened up. The Snoqualmie Valley area has some really rough weather and wilderness conditions without a lot of social services. Our homeless are probably more hidden (compared to an urban city) unless you hike or walk in the areas they are camping. We also have a lot more of what I call "freeway transient" in this area. I find a lot of people sleeping packed cars in parking lots or back roads. I also see cycles of younger people that will be present for a few months and then gone.

Unfortunately this shelter in not year round, which I don't agree with, but I am also not actively involved in fundraising or giving time so I am not really in a position to criticize. We also just passed a law in the area to fine people for "illegal camping." This is a bit unfortunate as I doubt they have somewhere else to go (and at the end of March REALLY won't have anywhere else to go), and I kind of doubt they have the $100 for the fine anyway.

This shelter is a great start for this area. I am proud of the people that took steps to address this local problem.


Believe it or not, I did a swatch last night for a sweater I want to make. I almost never take the time to do one, but the yarn was expensive and I don't want to get well into the sweater and realize it isn't going to work.

Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are taking it easier on yourself when it comes to job searching! It is a tough thing... I know that the perfect job is out there for you! Praying for you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I know it has to be out there soon...I just hope it doesn't take too long.

      Delete
  2. I don't think that sounds irresponsible at all. Sounds like you're pushing yourself too much. Probably at the most unexpected time, you will find the right job. If you step back, take a breath, maybe it's in front of you.

    The shelter sounds like a great place. I too believe they should be open year round. People aren't hungry and cold only certain times of the year, or do they serve food all year? Maybe they need more donations in order to do this. There is only so much they can do unless people donate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really hope so. I was just working myself up with the anxiety of it.

      We have a very active food bank and soup kitchen in roughly the same area which is year round. But yes, this shelter is a very new venture and they probably need to build a larger donation and personnel base to make it work year round.

      Delete