Monday, November 26, 2012

Very Cold Monday Morning

It is very cold and clear out here this morning, although apparently not at freezing, it just feels like it.


All Natural Bully Sticks is doing a cyber-special. That is about as much shopping as I am doing. :) They do also sell antlers similar to what Millie was modelling earlier in the month. I almost tried them but they seem to splinter for the powerful chewers (which Nim is) so I decided not to chance it.


I pretty much came down truly sick like most of the world on Thursday. It really took out my weekend and one of the sorts that you simply cannot sleep because you are so miserable. By Sunday I was in a desperate situation I was so tired. After dog training in the morning I fought hard to keep awake until night so I wouldn't nap and really screw things up.

It gave me time to make a new soup for the week: Daily Garnish Kale and Roasted Vegetables Soup:


I didn't have rutabaga so I just added more sweet potato and as you can see there was no roasting going on either. My energy is low making me exceptionally lazy. Basically I started out the onion and garlic and then added the sweet potato. Eventually I added 4 cups of water (I often don't bother with veggie broth especially when I know I am going to blend a soup) and simmered until the potatoes were soft.

I do dry beans in batches and freeze. I didn't have black, but I did have black-eyed peas (my favorite) so they went in with the kale. Then I added the cumin and salt and did some blending. It came out great!


Another recipe I would definitely recommend. I am eating a lot of soup right now and the less I can do from the can the better.

We did get out for a "training walk" yesterday as well. I am so adamant that we are going to be able to succeed in the rally obedience events next year that I try to get us out at least once a day for about 20 minutes of practice.


Have a great week! We have some cold but dry days ahead so I am hoping for some hiking.

8 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you weren't well all weekend. What a bummer. Hopefully that soup made you feel better though. We tried bully sticks here but can't stand the smell so no more for Millie.

    I would be happy to send you one of Millie's antlers to try if you want to email me your address.

    Hope this week goes better than the past few days.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Cindy! Thanks for your nice offer. I am going to write you to see how Millie is doing splintering it. Nim destroys things...I even have to watch nylabones.

      Bully sticks smell terrible! Even with low odor there is always a couple in the batch that make you look around to see what that smell is. :)

      Thanks for the good thoughts for the week...we keep trying. :)

      Delete
  2. So sorry you were sick friend!!! I hope you are feeling better now!
    Emily's soup is the bomb!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely getting better. And yes, that soup was amazing! Even with my changes to it. I think in all her recipes I have made there was maybe one that was a "no." LOL.

      Delete
  3. I hope you are feeling better. The poor sleep (from coughing or inability to breathe) is one of the things that drives me nuts when I have a cold That soup looks like just the thing. Just the way I like it, really thick and hearty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love blending up my soups and then really simmering down the water. Yes, I actually thought of you because I know you were pretty miserable for some of your travel.

      Delete
  4. Sorry you weren't feeling well. I'm sure that soup definitely is helping, it looks good! You could probably make a whole pot full and I would think it would last a few days, not that I'm a cook or anything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me that batch made it about 5 days. It depends on the soup but I go through it pretty quickly. It was very good though, I will do that one again.

      Delete