Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Homemade Bagels, Fruit Trees, and Sun!

Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous. A bit cold, but beautiful.


Mostly I was stuck inside, but I had about a 45 minute window to get the dog out and assess my fruit tree situation.

I have a lot of work.


The two mossy tree trunks are the apple trees. They have been there a very long time. Right now I think they are too choked up for proper sun and ventilation, but both are definitely alive and have produced most years. The photo doesn't show it well, but that is the elk path that runs next to them.


This "baby" is the plum tree! At my fruit tree lecture I learned that they do tend to grow straight up like that. This is the tree that both bear were in and it is also the most threatening to my fence and power line.

I have had fruit off it two years in the 12 I have lived with it. In fact I didn't even know it was a fruit tree for a very long time. Good plums however...I used to have to race Rusty for them.


My cookie experiment was a bit of a fail, but I am SUPER excited about my first attempt at bagels! I roughly followed this recipe, bread-machine free.


I could see this being a staple recipe and I need more of those. They were a touch small, but incredibly good and satisfying to make.


I am hoping for another rain-free day!

6 comments:

  1. Our property is a former apple orchard and we have never tried to trim the trees. Except for last year when we had a hard frost after the blossoms came out and killed them they have always produce plenty of apples. We just let the deer and other wildlife enjoy them.

    Your bagels look delish too.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy, it is good to know from someone else with experience. Last year was the first year they didn't fruit, some of it might of been the winter, but I think the trees are too choked up right now.

      Yes, mostly the wildlife enjoy them. :)

      The bagels did really well! They have stored and frozen well too. I would recommend it.

      Delete
  2. Dang! I thought those were donuts! :) They still look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Even when I was baking them they were totally like donuts. :)

      Delete
  3. Those bagels look delicious, and good luck on the fruit trees! Maybe someday it will be bagels topped with a vegan schmear and some home made jam??

    --Crabby

    ReplyDelete