Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Baby Jacket


This project is called "zip-up jacket" and it is from "Adorable Knits for Tots: 25 Stylish Designs for Babies and Toddlers" by Zoe Mellor.

Overall the pattern came together nicely. It was easy to follow and I didn't notice any mistakes. I happen to love seed stitch so it made it enjoyable to knit up. I did omit the pockets but I was using a yarn not entirely intended and had to make some modifications for yarn shrinking so I wanted to make sure I didn't run out.

The yarn was Rowan denim. The description reads: "Denim shrinks in length and fades just like jeans." I had read that the yarn could shrink up to 10 - 20% in length. Because of my limited stash, I increased the length of the end project by 10% only. I only had problems with the Rowan denim color rubbing off on my hands with one skein. I don't know why. Anyway, I will be interested to see what fading happens.

I have never had a zipper give me so much hassle. Two problems were my fault:

1. I tried to put it in using a sewing machine versus hand sewing it = puckering.

2. I bought a zipper that was not intended to detach at the bottom. Next time you ask yourself, what person would put a zipper that doesn't detach at the bottom on a baby's garment...well now you know: a person not entirely firing properly in the fabric store. Not only did I buy the wrong style zipper, but I also bought a ton of "unneeded fabric." But that is a subject for a later entry.

Once I put the zipper in properly, and then managed to accidentally take it off its track entirely and then put it back again I will say the sweater is quite cute. But I give myself some minus points in the functionality column.

No comments:

Post a Comment