Sunday, July 15, 2012

Block Party 2012

This is the first year I have been able to attend our neighborhood block party and it was actually a lot better than I thought it would be.


I didn't show up until later in the day (once my office got unbearable) and just in time for some dancing. All of the kid performances were amazing by the way. Clearly Ignite Dance has some great instructors.


On the "side stage" was Country Line Dancing and initially I was totally mesmerized by the skirts and actually have too many photos of just different embellished black skirts.


All of the dancers were really enjoyable to watch, but this gal in the white crinkly top and the white patterned overlay on her skirt had a ton of sass and attitude. As you can see, the kids were completely drawn to dancing with her.


Eventually I made it over to Animal Encounters. Keep in mind I had Nim so I was pretty careful about how close I got him. First we noticed the "pig pile." This is one pig, one bunny, one hen and one rooster. To be honest I am not sure Nim could make any sense of it at all until the hen started walking around on the pig. I guess the pig sleeps every night with some hens on him.


I LOVE the pouch system of animal handling (designed by the wife of the team). It was probably the most quiet and gentle animal handling I have ever seen in a "petting zoo" setting.

The child has to sit in a row of chairs (and remain seated) and a pouch with animal already inside is handed to them. The pouch is familiar and safe to the animals and it helps the child with proper and gentle handling. (The pouches also protect especially elderly skin which tends to be thinner from scratches).


This is a baby Patagonian Mara (relative of guinea pigs) being held by the husband owner of Animal Encounters.


And lastly a young female goat, aka Nim's new girlfriend. She is looking forlornly at Nim as we walked away. When we were close and talking she was actually sort of hiding from him, but as we started to walk away she was clearly interested.



12 comments:

  1. "neighborhood"? As in the whole neighborhood of NB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. :) I am not sure where the entire concept of block parties started but we aren't the only community that does one. I think this is our 4th year. I don't even think I had heard the term prior to ours. Now I actually do notice them in other communities.

      Delete
  2. I want to hold a mara :)
    and I really like the pouch system too. much better than a bunch of kids running around and terrorizing the poor animals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was killing me not to touch the Mara. :) Had I not had Nim I might have gone for it. And yes, the pouch system is quite possibly the best thing I have ever seen.

      Delete
  3. So sorry we missed it, we had a family gathering out of town. Sure looks like you and Nim had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Block parties have been around for years, probably since the 50's. Don't you remember ours, over in the cul-de-sac on the 4th?
    Years ago, neighborhoods could actually block off their streets, so they could use the whole area without fear of cars coming through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember the 4th ones. :) They were fun. And it is nice the road is pretty blocked off. About the only "traffic" I had was a handful of "too much to drink" pedestrians. Nim does not trust that.

      Delete
  5. Oh...those bunnies are so sweet. I've never seen that sort of pouch.
    The chicken walking on the pig is classic. And that bunny just looks so random there. Looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I made a point of telling them how impressed I was with the pouches. They should be a requirement at all "petting zoos."

      Delete
  6. Oh how fun!! I would have wanted to take all the animals home with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! They were pretty cute. Who doesn't want a pig that snuggles with a rabbit and the chickens?

      Delete