Thursday, July 5, 2012

Recovering

Both Nim and I are a little haggard from a very loud and long 4th. Keep in mind we were actually just boring in the house. All around us was a valley of explosion. I did a lot of late night house cleaning.


Shockingly we got through obedience today actually working together. The way the morning started I didn't see that happening.


The best part of the 4th was probably that I tried STUFT Mama's Zucchini Muffins!

They really were good - despite my laziness in getting chocolate chips which right now I swear I NEED. But I love all things zucchini and this recipe will be done again (possibly tonight).

Modifications (mostly to make vegan and/or too lazy to go to store):

1. No flax seed because I didn't have any. If I was too lazy to go to the store for chocolate you can bet I was too lazy for flax.

2. Turns out egg substitution is not the same thing as egg replacer. After some searching online I learned that 1/2 cup substitution is about 2 eggs. I used Ener G as usual. This would explain part of my single serving "failure" the night before (I think I forgot the egg replacer completely and it called for 1/2 cup egg substitution).

3. Also didn't have any vegan yogurt so made the Vegan Greek Yogurt recipe which honestly is super easy and I find preferable to buying soy yogurt. When I make it to add to a recipe like this:1/2 package of the tofu, 2 tsp vanilla, 1/3 cup almond milk and call it good. No need to sweeten. It makes roughly 1 cup.

4. Used pumpkin instead of the applesauce...amazing decision. Having made enough zucchini bread with applesauce I think I preferred the pumpkin, however I am also on a pumpkin kick right now.

5. Omitted the agave entirely and just added roughly that amount of water (basically until it was a manageable dough for the muffin tin). This is again knowing my taste preference with zucchini bread. I could have omitted some of the white sugar instead and added the agave but I didn't read ahead in the recipe to notice the agave was coming.

This was an easy, successful recipe and enjoyed by non-vegans as well.


I am borrowing my mom's laptop-of-unusual-size to try and decide if I want to get a cheap one off Amazon.

I am a total desktop user. But as I have gone from less and less Web site development (the program and files are hogs) and more administrative and school work I am considering a laptop now.

I am also going stir crazy being strapped to my office for work and school. Which is odd to me given I have worked from home for over 10 years. School has kind of tipped the balance. I need to be able to work on homework away from the desk.

Outside in the yard was not particularly successful. At least I tried.


Then I got restless and moved on to yard work. Nim sunbathed and supervised.


2 comments:

  1. I'm also a fan of desktops and really working hard at getting used to my laptop. I prefer to sit at a desk and look into a big screen and type on a big keyboard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am about 48 hours into this laptop and it isn't making my life easier. :)

      Delete