Friday, March 16, 2012

Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest and a Gentle Friday

I hope everyone is having a nice Friday. I even got out to my import store today and as you can see found some sun!

But first a little about Chimpanzee Sanctuary Northwest which is located in Cle Elum and currently home to 7 chimps who have spent a bulk of their lives in biomedical research labs (and the dismal living conditions that come with being a lab animal). Animal testing for me is one of the more unpleasant things in life. And some of the animal testing that is done for human convenience or beauty is downright embarrassing.

I would love to visit this sanctuary some day. I have to really admire the founder for reading about the need for chimp sanctuaries and putting some hard work into filling that need. This is a relatively young foundation and I wish them a lot of success in the important work they do.

The photos today are from Lewis Creek Park in Bellevue. Because of the bird wildlife this is one of my more challenging parks to take Nim into, but there was sun. I spent much more time than intended and changed plans for the rest of the day but it was well worth it.

This day was pleasantly unscheduled. There was no where I absolutely had to be. And it was absolutely beautiful out (at least in Bellevue)!

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know, I love dobermans, and we used to have one when I was younger. Second, that park looks so much like the area around my house. It felt very familiar looking at those pictures. I love the look of marshes in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh fun! They have been a really enjoyable breed for me. Smart, tough dog, but wonderful companion.

    We don't have much in the way of these wetland style parks, but we do have a fun.

    But yes, they do look amazing in the winter. I have to get a couple of hours out of this area to really get into the marshes that are more delta style. I actually love that fresh/salt water transition environment, but rarely visit them.

    ReplyDelete